One of the oldest burgher houses in Olomouc was established in 15th century by connecting two or three formerly wooden houses which had been built about the half of the 14th century. The groundfloor made of tall gothic bricks dates back to the 15th century. Nowadays observable remnants of the Gothic phase of development are the cross-vault in the lounge and the vault in the basement.
As the vault in the room 105 betrays, the first floor was constructed during the Renaissance period.
During The Thirty Years' War the house was severely damaged – in 1670 Andreas Bierfeind bought it for 375 fl. (the last known price before the war afflicted Olomouc was 2400 Moravian Thaler in 1628). The house was repaired but fell victim to the great fire of Olomouc in 1709. The house was quickly restored again, already in 1724 a dyer Bohumir Eckert payed for the house 1401 fl. and since his days the dye-craft was pursued here for a century. The restoration after the fire must had been carried out in the Baroque style, there are, however, no reminders of the Baroque observable today because of the following reconstructions.
The Classicist reconstruction was carried out in 1749-1776. In its course the second floor was added, probably for the first time, and the limestone stairway was built. In 1839 Karolina Pulkertova, a miller from Kamenný mlýn, bought the house for 12.000 fl. About 1875 her son Engelbert launched the great historizing (Neo-Renaissance) reconstruction which brought about the façade as we can see it today.
After the turn of the 19th and 20th century we have no record of the house untill 1960s when bathrooms for dwelling-units were built in. By that time the house, now in property of the state or, more precisely, of local departement of PBH (Podnik Bytového Hospodářství; Dwelling Administration Office), was compartmentalized into the dwelling-units and several non-residential spaces. In the course of the socialist period it hosted different enterprises and offices. The PBH was not able to repair nor even to maintain the building - the occasional replacement of windows, or the change of a colour of the façade are the only improvements we hear of. The PBH eventually applied for demolition, which was partially carried out in 1987.
In 1991 two natives of Olomouc, Boris Němeček and Milan Válek, bought the cleared and devastated building with intention to turn it into a luxury hotel. In 1994 the opening of the hotel was celebrated. In 1995 the architectual solution of the reconstruction and extension was awarded with The Building of the Year Award. In the same year it hosted the retinue of John Paul II.s' nuncios at the occasion of canonisation of Agnes of Bohemia and John Sarkander.
The Column of the Holly Trinity is the largest Baroque group-statue in the central Europe. It is 32,2 m high and consists of 18 figures of saints, 12 figures of lightbearers, 6 rilievos of the Apostles, and two sculptural groups: the Assumption of virgin Mary, and the Holly Trinity. It was build 1716-1754 and all the artists and craftsmen were from Olomouc. The Column of the Holly Trinity was consecrated at 9th september 1754 in the presence of the empress Maria Theresa and her husband Francis Stephen of Lorraine. In 1758 the column was hit by several balls from Prussian cannons, so the citizens of Olomouc arranged a procession to Prussian position to ask general James Keith to spare the column of a further bombardment. General Keith complied with their request, and for rememberance of this event a replica of cannon ball was embedded into the monument. One of the figures portrays Saint John Sarkander, a priest tortured to death for refusing to break a seal of confession. Inclusion of this figure was at least unconventional because he was not yet canonized nor beatified. John Sarkander was eventually canonized in 1995 at the occasion of John Paul II.'s visit to Olomouc. A tradition says there are tunnels leading from the Column of the Holly Trinity to each church in the city connecting the respective saints – for example a tunnel beginning under the position of the figure of St. Venceslas on the monument should go to the St. Venceslas' cathedral and so on. The chapel of the column is remarkable for the architectonical symetry and interesting acoustics purportedly enabling a preacher to be heard all over the square. In the year 2000 the Column of the Holly Trinity, as one of the supreme pieces of art of the Central-European Baroque, was enlisted to world's cultural heritage UNESCO.